Monday 1 September 2014

How to Make Tomb Raider: Lara Croft's Pickaxe



With PAX Aus 2014 fast approaching, It will time to get my Game On with Lara's Pickaxe.

I started buy printing out a template and cutting out 3 of them on foamboard (Available from Officeworks), as well as a few little bolts for the various locations around it, and the blades.


Modge Podge is my favorite craft putty glue. Purchased from Lincraft, this stuff glued the 3 pieces together as well as sealing in any cracks from my horrible cutting out job.


After it was all dry, I was able to sand back all the edges, glue on the foamboard bolts and start painting (My favorite part!)


I used a few coats of Gunmetal Silver on the blade and bolts, Bright Red on the shaft and Black on the handle.


 After it had all dried, I used masking tape as her bandage on the handle, and used a crappy, large dry brush to skim red paint onto the bandage and blades, silver drybrush on the red shaft, and a light brown dry brush over the whole thing.



Super excited with how it turned out! It was light and was able to be tied up to Lara's belt, and I even received the biggest compliment when going to "Check in" my weapon to be authorized into the convention, when the Weapon's checker advised that I "wasn't able to take that in" before he touched it and worked out that it was foamboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment