Thursday 15 October 2015

How to Make a WoW: Blood Elf Mage Spell Book

How to make a World of Warcraft: Blood Elf Mage Spellbook


I was not planning to make a book. I have just been super organised with PAX Aus 2015, had some spare time, and figured it would be cool to make something cute to hold my phone, wallet, business cards etc.

I had an old cut-out book that I purchased from the Reject Shop some time ago so decided to use that as the base.



Using a light craft putty that I purchased from Linecraft, I rolled out the putty and cut out some horde emblems, as well as cornices for the corners of the book.




Baking them in my oven, they looked good enough to eat!


Once they were baked and not eaten, I laid out my template, adding some rope and sequins for a little more "Omph".


I was concerned that It was going to look a little flat, so made up a mix in a spray bottle of 2 parts Modge Podge, 1 part Gold Paint, and 4 parts water.

I laid out tissue paper over the book, then spray the mixture on it, using a small paint brush to push the paper into the gaps. It gave it a nice textured look, as well as helping to keep it all sealed down.



After what felt like DAYS drying, I did 2 more coats of metallic gold paint, then started on detailing.


Using a Bright red for the emblem and corners, It needed about 3 coats each.


And then the fun Wash time!

I made up a mix of 1 part black paint, 4 parts water, and used a thick brush to lightly cover the whole book. The black went into the creases to give a nice "Used" look, while escaping from the higher-up parts.

As a final touch, I added a satin ribbon as a bookmark, and screwed a nail up the top, so I can hang it off my mage book


No comments:

Post a Comment